40m prep time
30m cook time
Berry TartBy Scott S
This gourmet dessert will add elegance to any dinner or party. -by Todd Leonard CEC
- Pastry Cream
- 2 c. water
- 2/3 c. THRIVE Instant Milk powder
- 1/2 c. Cane Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Iodized Salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 2 tbsp. butter, cold
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Fruit Topping
- 1 3/4 c. water
- 1/2 c. THRIVE Honey Crystals
- 2 tbsp. Cane Sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 c. Whole Strawberries - Freeze Dried
- 1 1/2 c. THRIVE Blackberries - Freeze Dried
- 1 1/2 tbsp. cornstarch + 2 tbsp water
- 1 1/4 c. White Flour (All Purpose Unbleached Flour)
- 2 tbsp. Cane Sugar
- 1 tbsp. THRIVE Scrambled Egg Mix
- 1/2 c. butter, chilled and cubed
- 3 tbsp. ice water
- For pastry cream:
- Combine water, milk powder, ¼ cup of the sugar, and salt in a medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until milk starts to steam.
- In a medium size bowl, whisk together egg yolks, cornstarch, and remaining sugar.
- Slowly pour scalded milk into egg mixture a little bit at a time until eggs are tempered.
- Pour mixture back into saucepan and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly until it thickens (2–3 minutes).
- Transfer to electric mixer with paddle attachment. Add butter and vanilla and beat on medium speed until butter melts.
- Cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto surface of cream to prevent skin from forming. Refrigerate until chilled.
- Just before serving, beat on low speed in mixer until smooth.
- To make crust:
- Combine flour, sugar, and Scrambled Egg Mix in a food processor.
- Add butter and process until mixture resembles coarse meal (10–20 seconds).
- Slowly drizzle in ice water while mixing. Mix until dough holds together without being wet or sticky.
- Divide into 6 equal balls. Flatten each ball into a disk and wrap in plastic.
- Chill dough for one hour. Roll out each crust until ⅛” thick. Press dough into 4” tart pans. Place pans in freezer until dough is chilled (about 20 minutes).
- Place pie weights (can use beans) in each tart with parchment between it and bake at 400⁰F for about 15 minutes.
- For fruit topping:
- Combine water, honey crystals, sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Add fruit and stir lightly.
- Drizzle in cornstarch slurry while stirring. Allow to simmer for 1 minute and instantly remove from heat and cool in ice bath.
- Add pastry cream to cooked tart shells, filling almost to top and making a small indent in the middle for topping.
- Top with berry mixture and allow to cool slightly before serving.