12m prep time
18m cook time
Apple StrudelBy Thrive Life
Flaky, delicious strudel stuffed with THRIVE Apples! - by Todd Leonard CEC
- 4 1/2 c. THRIVE Granny Smith Apple Slices - Freeze Dried
- 1/2 c. orange juice
- 1/2 c. water
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 c. Cane Sugar
- 1/2 c. pecans
- 1/2 tsp. orange zest
- 6 oz. butter, melted
- 10 sheets phyllo dough
- Add pecans to a food processor and pulse a few times. Remove ¼ cup while still large pieces. Continue processing remaining ¼ cup until finely chopped. Keep rough and finely chopped nuts separate.
- Measure apples by pressing firmly into a 1 cup measuring cup and place in bowl. Break apple pieces in half by pressing with heel of hand.
- Mix in orange juice, water, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar, large pecan pieces, and orange zest. Stir well and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter and place a pastry brush in butter to soak. Prepare 2 rolls with 5 sheets of phyllo dough each, layering butter and finely chopped nuts between each sheet. Divide apple mixture into two equal parts for each roll.
- For each roll, place ⅔ of the filling in an even row across the long edge of dough. Roll dough one whole turn and place remaining ⅓ filling on dough (should be center of roll). Roll the rest of the way tightly, being careful not to tear dough.
- Place strudel on a baking sheet and brush top with butter again. Bake at 375⁰F for about 18 minutes or until golden and flaky.